Is my Toe Pain from Gout?
Gout is a condition where a uric acid builds up in the body. A primary symptom of gout is toe pain, specifically big toe pain and throbbing pain in big toe at night. Normally, uric acid dissolves in the blood, gets processed by the kidneys, and leaves the body in the urine. With gout, there is too much uric acid in the body, either because the body makes too much uric acid, or the kidneys cannot remove as much as should.
If uric acid levels continue to be too high over time, the extra uric acid can build up and form crystals throughout the body, especially in the joints or kidneys.
Symptoms of gout can include:
- Intense joint pain. Gout usually affects the big toe, but it can occur in any joint. Other commonly affected joints include the ankles, knees, elbows, wrists and fingers. The pain is likely to be most severe within the first four to 12 hours after it begins. However, from our own experience, it can last 2-3 weeks if not treated.
- Lingering discomfort. After the most severe pain subsides, some joint discomfort may last from a few days to a few weeks. Later attacks are likely to last longer and affect more joints.
- Inflammation and redness. The affected joint or joints become swollen, tender, warm and red.
- Limited range of motion. As gout progresses, you may not be able to move your joints normally.
Gout most often happens in the joint of the big toe, but can also happen to other joints in the ankles, knees, and hands.
To help manage my levels of uric acid, Ive been trying cleanses. This one is my current go to cleanse. However, if you prefer soft capsules, I also found this to be good (though not as effective as the dropper cleanse.
When to see a doctor
If you experience sudden, intense pain in a joint, call your doctor. Gout that goes untreated can lead to worsening pain and joint damage. This article was not created to diagnosis gout in anyone. Please contact your medical provider if you have further questions.
- If you want help with ending gout, check out Blue Heron.
- If you want a natural gout plan, check out this natural gout treatment
- If you need help with gout good recipes, check out the gout diet cookbook
- If you want to watch a free video on erasing gout, check out this presentation.